Sunday 9 December 2012

Putting my money where my mouth is

Having spent the past 10 years trying to persuade the Open University Students' Association to get the Open University to stop using animals in education and research, because I believe that research into human health should be carried out on humans, I felt it was time to stump up when my GP put my name forward to Imperial College as a possible candidate for their research into nutrition.

Because I am a person of a certain age, of a certain ethnicity, and I have a BMI within a certain range - oh OK, because I'm fat - Imperial College and I have agreed that I am suitable to be used for their research and tomorrow I take the second step to joining the programme.

I have already had bloods taken, an ECG, been weighed and measured and tomorrow I have to present myself, hungry, at 09.30 for an exercise test and to be issued with a energy monitor and a food diary which I am to keep for a week.

To be honest, I am a bit nervous, not so much about being starved and then cut into for the removal of adipose fat and muscle tissue, but that I may let them down by not completing the whole 15 weeks of the programme.

I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Having been told that comments aren't making it through I thought I'd better check to see what is going on. I'm new to this so please bear with me!











    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you,well done, hopefully one day they will stop torturing animals.

    ReplyDelete